Friday, October 10, 2008
Social networking and libraries
I've had a look at some MySpace profiles of public libraries, and I like how they have links to new items in their collections, how they advertise events in their libraries, and I was really impressed with one library that a 'ask a librarian' search box directly on their MySpace page. But I agree with Meredith Farkas when she says "I think there is a big difference between “being where our patrons are” and “being USEFUL to our patrons where they are.”" I have seen some libraries where they seem to have a profile just for the sake of having a profile. It's obvious if there are few comments on the page that there isn't a lot of interaction going on with library users, which is surely the main reason for having a profile. It has to be updated regularly and be interesting, but those who do, are doing it well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment