Friday, December 4, 2009

RSS Feeds

To start, I'll say that I really enjoyed this exercise. Bloglines was the one thing from the '23 Things' programme last year that I wasn't already using before that I have used since. I find it a really convenient way to get updates from my favourite websites all in one place.

I was a little stumped when I got to the AccessScience database, because science isn't exactly my best subject, but eventually I searched for 'tectonic plates' and got a decent amount of search results. Setting up a My AccessScience account was easy though, and if you use this database I think it will be really handy to save your searches, articles and images.

Using ProQuest I initially searched for 'gymnastics' but got too many varied results, so I narrowed my search down to 'US gymnastics' and got much more relevant results for me. I was absolutely thrilled to discover that ProQuest has full-text articles from one of my favourite sports magazines, so it's bye-bye paid subscription and hello, free access from ProQuest! The articles from the magazine include the latest issue and back issues going back years. I will say that the articles look like they have been hand-typed into the database and not very thoroughly proof-read, but hey they're free so I'm not complaining!! Now I just have to wait and see how many alerts I get over the next week.

No comments: